This may seem like a brash statement: all dieters have failed at dieting. But just think about it. Haven’t you failed at dieting, at least once, but probably much more than just once?
What do you say to yourself when you fail? What do you say to yourself when you end your diet prematurely?
This was the subject of research not too long ago. The main questions asked of the research participants were the following.
1. Can you tell me about your dieting history?
2. When would you consider a diet to have failed/when would you consider you were no longer trying to a diet? Could you give an example/ describe a time when this happened?
3. What’s it like when a diet fails/you end a diet?
4. Why do you think diets have failed/ended for you in the past?
5. How do you feel about dieting now?
6. How do you feel about your eating?
How would you answer these questions? Give them a try and see if you find out anything that will help you end diet failure.