Have you reached your weight-loss goal and you are afraid you'll blow it? Does the thought of Thanksgiving or Christmas strike terror in your heart?
Instead of concentrating on a plan for what you will eat, how about a plan for dealing with the situations that actually cause you to eat too much? As a first step, identify these situations.
- Do you get tired or overwhelmed?
- Do you get uncomfortable in the social situations you always find yourself in at holiday time?
- Are you overly anxious to please?
- Do you feel like you can't be yourself?
- Are certain people difficult for you to deal with?
- Do you get stressed out about the details?
- Are you worried about your primary relationships—partner, children, parents, siblings —and the holidays tend to put a spotlight on all that’s wrong?
Perhaps you can better prepare yourself for challenges like these. It takes some careful thought, some planning, specific strategizing to prepare for these things. If you are serious about keeping the weight off, this is every bit as important as preparing for the actual celebrations.
excerpt from Psych Your Diet: A Daily Dose. Volume 3. Psych Yourself to Keep It Off. Symmetry Press.