You might want to shed those extra pounds, some from your stomach, some from your thighs, and some from your backside. But you may not be ready to diet. To determine if indeed you are not ready to diet, try rating yourself on the following fifteen statements using the rating scale below.
4 – very much like me
3 – like me
2 – unlike me
1 – very much unlike me
1. Maybe I am a little too heavy, but I don’t mind.
2. Everyone is a little too heavy these days. So what’s the big deal?
3. When you get older, it’s not unusual to love life with a few extra pounds.
4. There are people who are much heavier than I am, so why fret?
5. I really like my food and the way I eat.
6. It would change my personality for the worse.
7. There are much worse things in the world than being fat.
8. I change the channel when I see a program about health and weight.
9. Dieting is boring. I need something more stimulating.
10. I don’t know any good diets.
11. The effort it takes me to lose weight makes me think it’s genetic.
12. Everyone has at least one bad habit that she has to keep. Why not this one.
13. It’s too late for me to stop the way I eat. I’ve been eating this way for years.
14. I can’t possibly lose weight right after I’ve had such a difficult time.
15. Who wants to deprive herself in order to lose weight?
What did you find out? How closely do these statements describe you? If the majority of these statements were more like you than not, it means you still have a way to go to get yourself ready to diet.